Kanovera means "high quality coffee", and that's exactly what the farmers here are passionate about producing.
- Region: Bubanza province, Musigati commune, Ntamba (washing station)
- Founded: 2007
- Producers: 922, including 216 women
- Certifications: Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance and UTZ
- Varieties: Bourbon
- Soil type: Clay
- Harvest time: Mid-February to July
- Shipment time: August to November. Exported by COCOCA
- Elevation: 1400-1680m
- Post-harvest process: Fully-washed at central washing station (owned by the coop); single fermentation (between 12 and 18 hours); soaked for 10 to 12 hours; dried on raised beds (currently 59); parchment stored in ventilated warehouse (60MT capacity); coffee pulp distributed to farmers for compost. Milled at Horamama, Kayanza
- Quality and the cup: Fully Washed Arabica Screen 15+. Sweet, ripe berries, wine, panela, rosehip jam
Kanovera's members used to have to walk for up to 30km to sell their coffee, with parents often having no other option but to leave their children at home to fend for themselves. Thanks to the cooperative, this situation has already changed dramatically.
In the near future, they are aiming to increase production, make sure all members have access to drinking water, install new drying tables by the end of this year, and provide a reliable electricity supply to both the washing station and the local area.