- Region: South-West, Rumonge province
- Founded: 2014
- Producers: 800, including 57 women (in this region men are usually the only cooperative member in family and other family members harvest in their name)
- Certifications: Fairtrade
- Varieties: Bourbon
- Soil type: Volcanic
- Harvest time: February to July
- Shipment time: August to November. Exported by COCOCA
- Elevation: 1500-1700m
- Post-harvest process: Fully-washed at central washing station (owned by the cooperative); single fermentation (12-14 hours); dried on raised beds; parchment stored in ventilated warehouse (50MT capacity, average temperature 12-14˚C); coffee pulp distributed to farmers for compost. Milled at Horamama, Kayanza
- Quality and the cup: Fully Washed Arabica Screen 15+. Mandarin orange, pineapple, bright, spice, sweet
'Umuco Wi'kawa' means 'the light of coffee' – because the farmers here feel that coffee is a guiding light for them which gives them direction and a sense of purpose.This ambitious cooperative, overlooking majestic Lake Tanganyika, has big plans - and not just for the development of their own community. They already have the support of local government officials who are passionate about strengthening the Burundian coffee industry as a whole, to help secure a steady source of income for people up and down the country.
The cooperative has a reforestation programme and plans to invest the Fairtrade premium in building a community health centre.