BETTER COFFEE & GENDER JUSTICE MUST GO TOGETHER
NEW LANDMARK CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION CENTRE
DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA
2nd Feb 2016, 9am-1pm
This event is co-organised and sponsored by Twin and AFCA. Our panel of experts will be discussing why seeking greater gender justice must become a central issue to the sustainability of the coffee industry. We will be hearing directly from coffee farmers, grassroots facilitators, producer organisations, NGOs and specialty buyers who are creating change through an integrated approach at the following levels:
- Farm/household (Muungano, DR Congo; Bukonzo Joint, Uganda; Twin)
- Producer organisation/export (Gumutindo, Uganda; Mzuzu, Malawi)
- Market (Taylor’s, Atlas, Twin)
- National & international: Advocacy and certification (4C, ITC, AFCA, Fairtrade)
WHY GENDER JUSTICE?
We believe gender empowerment must be addressed at these different levels if it is to be an efficient approach in terms of the coffee value chain. Twin works to increase the visibility of female farmers along the value chain, enhance women’s decision-making powers, improve women’s control over assets, and ensure equal access to income and extension services for women and men.
In East Africa, female farmers carry out 70% of agricultural labour yet access only 15% of the income. In Africa in general, women own 20% of land, usually resulting in female membership of producer organisations being low.
Research and practice suggest...
If women own land and receive the income directly:
- they prioritise expenditures related to nutrition, education and health;
- they are able to join producer organisation and access training on best practice coffee farming;
- as they do most of the work, this improves quality and productivity;
- farmers receive a higher income;
- producer organisations and buyers receive higher volumes of better quality coffee.
Twin will be chairing sessions of one hour each: there will be brief explanations from each of our experts on their relevant experiences, then we will open up the discussion to include the audience for your questions and to share your experiences. Click here to see the full programme.
Please note that attendance at this event is by invitation only. If you are interested in attending, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org