Twin is a development through trade NGO working with 33 producer organisations representing 300,000 coffee, cocoa and nut smallholder in 17 countries across Latin America, Africa and Asia. Our wholly owned coffee and cocoa trading company - Twin Trading, works to access value-added markets for our producer partners and offers quality products with development impact.
We unlock the power of trade to strengthen producer organisations and delivery social justice, economic development and environmental sustainability for small farmers. We are engaged throughout the value change to balance producer support with creating market demand, building partnerships that deliver sustainable, scalable and meaningful change.
Twin's Current Job Vacancies
- Logistics and Certification Manager - Job Description
- Cocoa Marketing Associate - Terms of Reference
Logistics and Certification Manager
Twin is a non-profit organisation which owns its own trading company. This unique structure allows us to combine trading, marketing and programs to build market systems that deliver better livelihoods for farmer groups in least developed countries. Established in 1985, Twin has a strong track record for connecting actors along the value chain, to facilitate deep and global partnerships between small holder producers and their customers. Commercial Operations and Logistics is a key lynch-pin in the delivery of our vision to use trade as a tool to create sustainable and vibrant small holder communities. We have an opportunity to bring on board a Logistics and Certification Manager based in London.
Main purpose of the job
To ensure coffee and cocoa is shipped in a timely and efficient manner, and that the relevant information and services are provided to our partners throughout the value chain.
£28,000 to £35,000 (depending on experience). Full time. Based in London.
- Supply Chain Management and associated documentation knowledge (preferably in coffee).
- Contract Administration Knowledge.
- Language skill: Spanish and/or French desirable.
- Fluent in INCO terms, logistics and various shipping terminology.
- Experience with commodities and certification. IT competence.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Highly Efficient and Organised. Service Orientated Attitude.
- Experience in Developing Markets. Practical and Solutions focussed.
- Degree level Minimum.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Oversee and Ensure Efficient Shipment and Delivery of Coffee and Cocoa to clients.
- Collate Export Documentation and Forward to Partners in line with Contractual Terms.
- Manage Certification Requirements. Keep Partners advised of shipment status.
- Manage Logistics and Warehouse Costings Database. External Relationship Management.
- Responsibility for Managing Costs and Payments to Third Party Service providers.
- Responsible for implementing shipping processes and procedures effectively.
We are an ambitious team operating in excess of 30 different markets that is expanding its operations and footprint internationally. This is an opportunity for the right person to gain significant exposure to trading and development whilst delivering a critical component in our unique structure. We are a close knit team that prides itself on performance within difficult country environments. The role will not only enable the right person to gain expansive international experience and an evolved skill-set but they will also be delivering real value and development to many least developed regions. There will be ample scope to grow within the role and assume increased responsibilities quickly.
Start date is negotiable. Interested parties should send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com and specify the role name on the subject line.
Applications will close on 8th Feb 2018.
Here you can download this role's Job Description
Cocoa Marketing Associate
Twin has a strategic objective to scale up its work in cocoa to a similar level to that of its coffee. This implies not only expanding technical assistance to producer organisations in origin countries but also developing our presence in the cocoa market, both in terms of direct trading as well as offering marketing services. Over the last 3 years, Twin has grown its cocoa technical assistance from a single-country programme (in Ghana) to a multi-country programme working across Africa. There is also the potential for Twin to capitalise on its relationships with coffee producer partners in Latin America and Africa who are looking for new markets for their members’ cocoa.
Twin Trading’s cocoa market involvement is currently limited to the procurement of up to 5 containers of beans per year from Sierra Leone for a select number of clients.
With newly established high-profile buyer relationships, Twin is on its way to becoming an organisation that both cocoa buyers, POs, and donors will wish to work with in the long term. To achieve this goal we need to continue to build our organisational knowledge of cocoa quality and terms of trade, and to expand both our origin and buyer portfolios. This involves maintaining existing warm buyer leads, as well as identifying and developing relationships with more potential customers, particularly in Europe, who share our commitment to high quality, certified cocoa with a strong producer story. It will likely also include developing and executing a strategy to offer cocoa micro-lots to the smaller craft and “story-led” chocolate companies in the UK and Europe.
Main purpose of the job
- To promote and market cocoa already available through Twin projects and existing producer partner relationships to buyers in the UK, Europe and US (current origins are Uganda, Sierra Leone, Ghana and Peru)
Who are you going to be working with?
- Twin Head of Marketing (Line Manager)
- Twin Deputy Head of Trading
- Twin Senior Project Manager for Cocoa
- Other Twin Associates (for Sierra Leone & Uganda projects and communications)
Areas of responsibility
- Continually review and update Twin’s cocoa marketing strategy, including more detailed identification of prospective customers in the UK, Europe and US. Produce detailed and summary-level strategy documents that can be shared with the Twin Board and other partners.
- For Sierra Leone and Uganda, develop origin-specific marketing strategies and lead on implementation, to include (but not limited to):
- Approaching and nurturing relationships with (prospective) buyers
- Working with Twin’s marketing and communications associate to develop marketing materials
- Coordination of quality testing & profile development (done through external partners)
- Sample management and distribution
- Coordination of presence at trade fairs and exhibitions
- Organisation and accompaniment of buyer visits to origin
- Working with the trading team to draw up costings and make offers for cocoa sold through Twin Trading
- For new origins (potentially Liberia and DRC and others to be identified), work with the Cocoa team to develop proposals for funding to ensure appropriate marketing components are adequately covered; once new origins are on-line, develop origin-specific marketing strategies as per point 2 above.
- If appropriate and dependent on 1 above, explore the potential for Twin to get involved in the supply of semi-finished cocoa products from project origins through developing a relationship with a like-minded primary processor.
- As required, provide training and support to Twin’s cocoa producer partners on marketing and trading, for example:
- Providing regular information on global market and pricing trends.
- Advising and collaborating on development and execution of marketing strategies, including annual cycle of review, planning and monitoring.
- Advising and training on quality and sensory analysis and control.
- Advising and training on price risk management strategies.
February 2018 for 6 months, with potential to continue depending on funding.
Hours: 4-5 days/month average (negotiable)
Location: ideally Twin office but negotiable; but must be able to visit the London office at least once per month (NB if not based in London travel costs may not be covered); travel within UK & Europe to visit buyers and to Africa and Latin America to visit producers (for which costs will be covered)
Contract conditions: associate contract; rate depending on experience.
- A demonstrable commitment to Twin’s values and mission.
- Knowledge and experience of international chocolate markets, especially the premium and craft sectors; knowledge of the bean-to-bar value addition process and cocoa manufacturing landscape.
- Familiarity with key players in cocoa trade and manufacture, especially in the target market segments: craft makers, specialty importers, and mainstream premium (e.g., ethical trade labels); a network of industry contacts preferable.
- Demonstrable facility with the sales and marketing function, ideally in premium/luxury commodities but can also be for related goods/services.
- Knowledge and experience of the raw cocoa market (beans): terms of trade (contracts), futures markets, pricing.
- Knowledge and experience of the cocoa bean processing and semi processed cocoa sectors
- Cocoa quality and sensory analysis experience.
- Knowledge of sustainable certification schemes (Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance, UTZ; proposed international sustainable cocoa standards from CEN/ISO)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a dispersed team.
- Fluency in English essential; knowledge of French and/or Spanish desirable.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly overseas.
Send your most recent CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 09:00 GMT on Wednesday 17th January 2018. Please indicate the job title in the email subject.
To download the Terms of Reference please click here
Other pro bono work
We welcome support from experts or professionals looking to share or develop their experience in fair trade and development.
We would also welcome help from communications and marketing professionals in developing our organisation’s profile and those of our members.
If you would like to donate your time and expertise to Twin pro bono please get in touch.